I first found Dr. John Gallagher and NYSSMA on Twitter a couple of years ago. They linked to something called a “Swiss cheese” press release. I clicked the link and found not only a treasure trove of templates for public relations—all tailored specifically for music education programs—but tumbled down a deep rabbit hole of online resources all designed to help you market music education right in your own community.
I’m so glad John was able to join me on the podcast! Here are a few of the topics we touch on in this episode:
- What is a “Swiss Cheese” news release?
- What’s the best way to advocate for your program?
- The importance of engaging your community
- How to get your music program covered by local news outlets
- Lessons from failed attempts to organize a booster group
- The legality of using students’ images to promote your music program
- Great advice from a retired superintendent to battle burnout
- A few “out-of-the-box” fundraiser ideas
- The one thing that John says will improve your music program