Share a Post from a Facebook Page to a Facebook Group

How to Share a Post from a Facebook Page to a Facebook Group

Often when you’re on Facebook, you find yourself thinking that there must be an easier way. Today, you’ve got one. Here’s how to share a post from a Facebook Page into a Facebook group.

How to Share a Post from a Facebook Page to a Facebook Group

First, make sure that you’re logged into your personal Facebook account. From there, navigate to the post on your page that you want to share. Click the “share” button.

share this photo in a group

In the drop-down menu, select “in a group.” Then choose the group you’d like to share it with by typing the name of the group into the text field. Select from the options that appear. When you’re happy with your caption, click the “share” button at the bottom of the post to share a post from a Facebook page to a Facebook group.

For more handy social media tips, follow me on Twitter!

If you’re local, I recommend you check out both the Norwin Area Arts Council on Facebook, and the All About the Norwin Area Facebook group!

Let me know if you have any questions about your favorite social media site, and yours might be the next video I make!

You can do this! I can help.

Get updates from me in your email inbox so you don't miss out.

Unsubscribe anytime.

46 thoughts on “How to Share a Post from a Facebook Page to a Facebook Group

1. kathleen kamsler

I want to type one message and post it to several of the groups I belong to. I do not want it to show up on my personal wall or timeline. How do I do this?

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

I use HootSuite, and it has the ability to share to multiple groups. You can send immediately, or schedule it for a certain time.

Pro tip: If you’re going to share the same message to multiple groups, please stagger them so they’re (at least) hours apart. Otherwise, anyone who’s in more than one of those groups gets a notification that you’ve posted the same message into multiple groups, and it makes you look like a spammer. Which I’m sure you’re not. 🙂

1. Maurer

But it’s a post or a share? I want to share, so the post is linked to the fanpage. If I post it to groups I will get more friends but I want to get more fans for my fanpage. (I didn’t find this option on hootsuite).

I have been doing this manually and it works, people in the groups relate it to my fanpage, like my posts and share them, a few click in the post, redirects to my fanpage and like it (also I get some friends). I have been looking for a way to schedule and automate it, since I do this at least 3 times a day with different groups each time so I don’t spam and I reach different people.

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

You’re right: if you schedule it through HootSuite, it’s a post, not truly a share. I’m waiting patiently for Facebook to allow scheduled shares, but so far, no luck. Fingers crossed that this feature is on their list!

I just tried posting to a FB group from HootSuite, pasting in the URL of the Facebook page post I wanted to share. I got an error message; it wouldn’t post. Not sure if that’s a HootSuite hiccup or a Facebook issue. I’ll let you know if and when I learn more.

1. Maurer

By the way…

I never tried with hootsuit but possibly if you use the link as the post to the group it would work.

I have been using the suggested FBMPFP script and basically that’s the way it works.

Cheers

2. Dezdan

This only seems to work with photos. Does not work with status updates. Anyone know a way to share statuses from a page to a group?

Hi Dezdan!

I just double-checked, and it should work identically with status updates. Make sure that you’re logged in as yourself (your personal Facebook profile), not your page. Hope you can get it to work!

3. Maria

I suggest you give FBMPFP on CodeCanyon a try. It is a powerful solution to share content on multiple groups, pages and even own profile. And it not only works with status updates, but also posts videos, images, albums etc. Very easy to use and gives scheduling options too. Another thing that I love is that it does not force us “via Hootsuite” text you see in all posts made via Hootsuite. We can change what to show at that place.
    FBMPGP – Facebook Multi Page/Group Poster

1. Maurer

Seems very basic but useful, if you copy the link from what you posted in a page and post it in the groups it will appear as shared so I’ll try the same with other software, also I’ll see if it is possible to adjust the script to automate it and cron (my only worry is that i’m not sure if fb really allow this, I don’t want to get banned), thanks for the tips.

4. Mark

Is there anyway to do this via mobile site using browsers like opera mini or uc browser? I see only ‘share on timeline’ when using mobile.

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

I wasn’t able to do it on Chrome on my iPhone, but I was able to do it using the Facebook iOS app. Just click the share button, then choose “Write Post.” The default option is to share to your timeline, but you can tap to change it to a friend’s timeline, a group, or any of the pages that you admin.

5. Arthur

I am not able to do it from Opera Mini on android. when I clik on share, there is not groups or a group among the proposed fields. help please

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

If the group is an open public group, then yes, you’ll be able to share that post to your page or your personal timeline. If the group is closed or secret, then no.

6. Abby Eagle

Many thanks for the information. It was important for me to share an image from my business page to a group so that i could track the statistics. If you want to connect with me on Facebook then feel free to add Abby Eagle as a friend. All the best to you.

7. Anita

Hi
    When I click on the part to enter my group’s name, I am not getting any options to choose from when i start to type the group’s name. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

Hmmm. A couple of things to check:

Are you logged in as your personal profile, and NOT your page? You can only participate in groups from your personal profile. Only humans can join groups, not Pages.

Confirm that you’re actually a member of that group. If you’re a member, the name of the group should auto-populate as you type.

Hope that helps!

1. Maurer

I’m not quite sure if I understood your question, but I will try to answer what I think you are asking.

First guess: I’m assuming you are trying to share a post from your fanpage to a group by using pages manager, if that’s the case you won’t be able to do that, remember what Kathleen said in other questions about this topic:
      “You can only participate in groups from your personal profile. Only humans can join groups, not Pages.” therefore you can only share to a group from your personal profile.
      So do the post in you fanpage using pages manager and go back to you normal facebook app and share the post from your fanpage with your personal profile in the groups.

Second possible guess: I found there is an app called mypage, I won’t download it because I’m pretty sure this is not what you are asking, but if this is the case and you are not able to post in groups, post it in your fanpage then go back to you normal facebook app and share the post from your fanpage with your personal profile in the groups.

Hopefully I was able to help.

8. Aarika

Hi! I am so happy to have found your post. I have been researching all day but haven’t found a solution to my question. I am trying to share a shared link post on facebook with a specific group’s thread. If I right click on the link to save the URL or location to post in my group, then the link saved is the website location not the facebook location. I can’t share it directly to the facebook group because it needs to be shared on a specific thread rather right to the group’s page. I would love any suggestions you have. Thanks!

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

In my experience, the best way to do that is to find the URL of the original Facebook post you want to share. Do that by clicking on the date the post was shared, then copy the URL from the browser’s address bar. Paste that URL into the comments of the thread in the Facebook group. It probably won’t display in full, but people will be able to click over to see the full post.

Hopefully the post you want to share is a public post, or else not everyone will be able to see it. If that’s the case, you should be able to take a screenshot and post that as a comment. Make sure you share that responsibly, though, with the understanding that the post was not originally intended for public consumption. If it helps, you can use an app like Skitch to mark up or blur out any personally identifying information.

Hope it helps!

9. Sarahbee

If I am sharing a page to a group and writing comments with the post I am sharing will anyone else be able to see this outside f the closed group I am sending this to

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

Nope! If the group is closed, only other members of the group will be able to see what you posted to the group. UNLESS a group member takes a screenshot and shares it outside the group, of course.

10. john

you should change the title of your tip as it is not for sharing a post, but for sharing a photo…two different things

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

Yes, they are two different things, but as of today (for me, anyway!), it works the same way. Of course, Facebook is always tweaking things behind the scenes and rolling out changes gradually, so it’s entirely possible that it may change! Is anyone else seeing something different?

11. Sasha

If i share a post from a Business’s page to a Business page I manage, will the people tagged in the original post get a notification about the sharing of the post? I’m not sure if you would know the answer, but I thought I would try asking! I haven’t been able to figure this out.

Hi Sasha!

They SHOULD, but it doesn’t mean that they will. Sometimes Facebook is great about making that notification pop up. Other times you can only see it if you look back at your post, and click on “shares” to see who shared it. If you’d like to make double-sure they see it, tag the page in your status update by typing @ plus the name of the page. @BrokenChordCommunicationsLTD will tag my Faceboom page, for example.

1. Robin

Thank you. I did email and ask a couple of people for permission one person/page told me no I couldn’t for legal copyright reasons. It kind of confused me because if if I liked something from the page it basically shared it to my newsfeed(no different than me sharing in my group) and my friends can see it, which I assume is also like sharing.

12. Manoj Radhakrishnan

I see that some shared posts have a “Like Page” button next to the post that is shared. I don’t get the Like Page button. From your video it looks like you didn’t get it either. I have taken a screen capture of an example and uploaded it to my site here: http://www.travel-notes.org/photos/LikePage.jpg

If you see this jpeg I uploaded, the post that the author shared has a Like Page button. But the posts that I share don’t seem to get them. Do you know what I am missing? Is this a paid feature?

Thank you for the post above. It was helpful.

Manoj

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

I believe that “Like Page” button only appears if the user hasn’t already liked that page. If I have liked that page already, that button won’t appear. It may be appearing for your audience and other users, but not for you.

13. Thilan Perera

Can you please tell me whether there is a limit for like page shares in facebook groups ? a few days ago facebook restricted my sharing feature and posting on facebook groups as I shared one of my like page posts on nearly 160 groups.

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

I’m sure there is a limit, though I don’t know what it is. Posting the same thing to 160 groups at a time, though, qualifies as spam in my book. I’d encourage you to be more thoughtful about who you’re trying to reach and how you communicate with them.

14. Stephan

Good day

I’ve just read the article of how to share a post to a group.

My question is does that mean that every member of the group will see the post
    on their timeline and if not how can I get all the members of the group to see my post?

Have a great day.

Stephan

1. Kathleen Heuer Post author

No, there’s no way to ensure that every member of the group sees it. Your best bet would be to ask group members to change their group notification settings to “All posts” instead of the default “Highlights.”